Pages

Saturday, August 22, 2015

The Wolfwardrobe | the hands of he and the promise that she is blessed among women

This is one of those one-size-fits-all muumuu-type dresses one finds at the flea market (though I found it hanging in Grandma's closet, and she found it before me at GCF). I'd been wearing it as a house dress exclusively the past couple weeks, but on this particular morning, glanced at myself in the mirror and thought, "but what if I belt it?" So, here it is, likely the only time this dress will see the light of day. 
 Scarf (on head) - Laurie Cabot color-a-day scarf, gift (Grandma, The Pyramid Collection) | Dress - WEWA, second-hand (Grandma) | Cardigan - INC International Concept, thrifted (GCF) | Belt - thrifted (Bargain Box) | Scarf (on waist) - resale (Butterfly Exchange) | Sandals - Clark's, resale (Butterfly Exchange)
Necklace - antique, gift (Grandma) | Bracelet - Baik Baik (BeYOUtiful Butterfly Boutique) | Earrings - vintage, stolen (Sierra)
Buddha ring - Raleigh Flea Market | Silver ring - SilverWear by Christy Clark (Aria Gifts [closed])

Bandana (on head) - second-hand (Grandma) | Top - Costa Blanca (TJ Maxx) | Halter top - hand-dyed (Lazy Daze Arts & Crafts Festival) | Pants - Liverpool Jeans Company, resale (Butterfly Exchange) | Sandals - Bandolino, second-hand (Grandma)
I have this rule with denim, a new rule I just made up this year--I don't buy just plain jeans anymore, no matter how good the fit, how impressive the brand (I barely have enough brand recognition to do my job [resale buyer] as it is). No, if I'm going to shell out what little cash I allot my wardrobe for jeans, they have to be a fun pattern, a funky color, bedazzled as heck, distressed as hell, splattered with paint, or maybe have some applique hearts and flowers on the rump. These snakeskin pants fit the bill. The halter top I've had since high school. Back then I'd wear it not as a layering piece but as, just, a top. Oh, the taut ballerina torso of high school Michelle, you were not appreciated enough at the time. You can see me wearing this cold-shoulder top, a few years ago, here.
African trade bead necklace - repurposed antique, gift (Grandma, Raleigh Flea Market) | Watch - vintage, gift (Grandma, Raleigh Flea Market) | Copper cuff - gift (Grandma) | Amber earrings - gift (Grandma) | Quartz ring - gift (Grandma)
Top - Old Navy, second-hand (Grandma) | Skirt - Orchid Lane (Sugar Magnolia) | Shoes - Mansi Collection, second-hand (Grandma)
This skirt has now been retired. It was loved, utterly, deeply, and it wears that love in a collection of runs, picks, and holes throughout (thus why no close-up photos). Purchased for 15 bucks at Sugar Magnolia on Hillsborough Street, it is at least part of the reason I got my job--this one I love so much (I wore this skirt to my interview). For the past few years this skirt has been my go-to whenever I felt uninspired or lazy--you know, the thing I pulled out of my closet when I could think of nothing else to wear. Luckily, though this skirt is going to the cardboard box on my closet floor that is home to all my clothes awaiting reincarnation (reuse), I have two like it, in relatively good condition, hanging in my closet still. And anytime I want to buy a replacement, I can do so--for fifteen bucks, on Hillsborough Street.
Cardinal necklace - hand-made, gift (Selena, Etsy [though I forget the shop name!]) | Rosary bracelet - gift (Grandma) | Quartz earrings - vintage, stolen (Sierra) | Buddha ring - (Raleigh Flea Market) | Red ring - gift, Sierra (Light Years)

No comments:

Post a Comment

share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...