This afternoon Mads has a smudge of chocolate on his chin, like a goatee. Together we made s'more bars (thus, the chocolate). Mads crushed graham crackers while I melted chocolate chips. When he realized he could not eat them immediately but had to wait an hour for them to cool and set in the refrigerator, he left the kitchen in a huff, announcing, "Shit! We just made shit!" I followed him, laughing, and, incredulous (but still giggling), asked him to repeat himself. He gave me a cheeky smile before hiding away in a living room fort. "I said spit, Mommy. We're making spit. Isn't that funny?"
Martigan is three months into being four-years-old, a real kid. He loves playing hide-and-seek, but always hides in the same spot. He paints nearly every day. He is frequently what we term "stinky" (his dad and I "call stinky" on him when he's being bad), especially after eating sweets (I will pay for the chocolate on his chin later). But, he is also a giver of hundreds of kisses and compliments. Today at lunch he told me, "You're a good mommy."
About Mads, 4 Years & 3 Months Old:
- He is tall enough to reach light switches.
- He is in the 30th percentile for both weight and height (a little guy), and in his doctor's medical profession, absolutely perfect.
- The key to a perfectly well-behaved sweetheart of a child with nary an episode of stinkiness is no sweets or television (all day), but Mads has rotten, indulgent parents, and this rarely happens.
- Once, when sent to his room in punishment, he snuck out with his Spider-Man mask over his head and seemed surprised and outraged when he was ordered back to his room, Spider-Man or not.
- When he wears a combination of Spider-Man, Batman, and Capt. America costume parts, he becomes Captain Spider-Bat USA.
- When I ask Mads to finish eating his breakfast, he tells me, 'I'm all hungried out, Mom."
- He prefers the Curious George stories when George and The Man live in the city to the new country ones.
- After re-watching The Lego Batman Movie, Mads asks, "Don't they know they're legos?"
- He consistently points out letters--either lines and shapes that remind him of letters or actual letters on signage, etc. He is particularly keen on 'M' and 'W'. ('M' is for Martigan; 'W' is an upside-down 'M').
- Martigan's favorite toys and games this month: Candy Land, Baymax action figure, Rescue Bots
- Martigan's favorite shows/movies this month: Transformers: Rescue Bots, Sing
- Martigan's favorite books this month: Curious George, Batman's Dark Secret, I Am a Witch's Cat