Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Madmartigan, 3 Years Old | I feel just like a local god when I'm with the boys

About Mads, 3 Years & 5 Months Old: 
When my latest employer requested I tell him a little bit about myself in my interview, the first thing I said was, "I'm a mom." Mads is all I talk about (unless I'm talking about Wolfman). I tell my co-workers all the cute things he says, and I laugh heartily and proudly as I report on him, not exactly caring whether anyone else is interested. But, I'd never actually brought him in the store to introduce him to everyone until this month. I told everyone, "He's wild," or, "He's a lot." The latter is actually the best description I've been able to manage for Mads. When I told Mads we were going to my work to pick something up I'd forgotten, he was excited. He told me, "I'm going to say, 'Nice to meet you.'" But when we pulled into the parking lot, he told me, "Mommy, I don't want to say 'nice to meet you,' I'm feeling shy." He hid behind my legs when I tried to introduce him to people, but he excitedly ran circles around the store when I let him loose. He tested half the recliners in the store, rocking them so hard they jumped. Dennis said, wryly, "I see what you meant," as Mads ran past him. Jason said, "No wonder you don't have any mom weight on you." (#humblebrag) 
  • Mads calls Eskimo kisses "snuggle kisses," and asks for them several times a day.
  • Mads also requests hugs, particularly after I lay him down to bed or buckle him into his car seat.
  • On Thursday and Sunday mornings, when I'm driving the car and check in with him, "How you doin, buddy?" He'll say, "I'm doin alright," then, "I forgot to say 'good morning' to you, Mommy. Good morning!"
  • Mads groans, "I'm tired of these damn people."
  • Mads says, "Warlocks are boy witches, and they fight and throw fire balls. And they're mean."
  • Mads sings songs to himself--Christmas songs, KISS songs--and he has an amazing sense of rhythm and pitch. His musicality blows my mind (he did not get that from me).
  • In a phone call from my grandma, she revealed that while watching something slapstick-y, Mads laughed harder than she'd ever heard him laugh before.
  • Watching the first episode of The Adventures of Brisco County Jr., when romance starts happening on screen between Brisco and Dixie, Mads says, "I don't want them to kiss," and covers his eyes.
  • When I ask him if he feels like sometimes his dad and I ignore him, he answers in the affirmative. I ask, "Does that make you feel bad?" He responds, "It makes me feel frustrated and mad. And when I'm frustrated and mad I say 'damn it!'"
  • Martigan's favorite books this month: Nicholas Oldland's Life in the Wild books, Maya was Grumpy
  • Martigan's favorite shows/movies this month: Puffin Rock, Scooby Doo & KISS: Rock n' Roll Mystery, The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.

A photo posted by Michelle Vaughn (@wolfpeople) on

2 comments:

share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...