Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

Domesticity Log, no. 11 | Fruit & Nut Bites


Here's a wholesome, yummy, simple snack recipe.  Gluten free, dairy free, processed sugar free, etc.  Originally made for that detox my brain refuses to process in words, but a go-to now.  I haven't been this excited about a snack since I learned to make granola.  Recipe originally from Whole Living, but with one alteration:

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups mixed dried fruit (I used figs, dates, and raisins.)
  • 1 cup mixed raw nuts and seeds (the recipe originally calls for 2 cups, but I found this was way too much.  I used almonds and pecans.)
  • Spice (I used allspice.)
  • Salt of choice
  • 1/3 cup seeds (The original recipe calls for sesame seeds, which I think sounds yummy, but I used flax because it's what I had on hand.  I tried using unsweetened shredded coconut, but the balls weren't sticky enough because, I think, I used too many nuts.)
Directions:
  1. Pulse fruit in a food processor, transfer to bowl.
  2. Pulse nuts/seeds in a food processor until finely chopped.  Add to fruit.  Add spice and salt.
  3. Knead together into 1-inch balls, roll in seeds.
Here's a hint: if you use figs, your fruit & nut bites are going to be particularly tasty, and the little fig seeds will add an extra texture to your bite, which is delightful.  Figs are, in short, the greatest fruit ever to exist on this planet.  Suck it, mangoes.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...