Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

365 | beetles and eggs and blues and bells and eggs

Monday 4 July 2016, Independence Day | My grandma loves this holiday. She's not particularly patriotic, but man does she love fire works and barbecues. Grandma had everything prepared when I got off work, but Wolfman did the grilling and the lighting of explosives. He didn't eat sitting outside on the deck with Grandma, Sierra, me, and the kids. He sat at the kitchen table, watching us through the window. I love everything about him, everything useful, everything wild, everything persnickety.
Tuesday 5 July 2016 | I had no idea these would be the last mannequins I'd dress at my little shop. I never got around to posting them on Facebook or Instagram, but I have this photo for myself and this space at least.
Thursday 7 July 2016 | Wolfman and I took the kids out to the new splash park in Fuquay-Varina. Ella felt a little iffy about the whole venture, but when I asked her to pose in the jets for a photo she did so, squinting at me with the tight, funny little smile you see in this photo. She thinks I'm a little crazy, but she indulges me anyways.
Friday 8 July 2016 | Unemployment, Day 1. Even after those years of dancing en pointe, I still had pretty(ish) feet until this year. So many shopgirl months of wearing orthopedic shoes have splayed my already-long toes and flattened (and widened?) my feet a bit. I love my naked gorilla feet, though. I usually see a lot of them in the summer (and the fall, and the winter up until we get ice), but I'll see even more of them summer. I've got no job and no reason to put on shoes.
Saturday 9 July 2016 | On my first day of unemployment, I lounged by a pool and talked for hours with my husband and a friend, Kathy. Unemployment Day 2: I made it out to the Apex Farmer's Market with my menfolk and ate not-incredibly-impressive food truck dumplings. What a pleasure and privilege. Were it not for the lack of pay, unemployment would be a breeze.
Monday 11 July 2016 | The pteranodons at the Museum of Natural Sciences look a lot different from the ones on Dinosaur Train. Today is my mother's 52nd birthday.
Tuesday 12 July 2016 | Took the kiddos to The Cary for Film Day Fun Day. Our brave little creatures were among the first to leave their parents' side and take advantage of that big ol' play mat.
Wednesday 13 July 2016 | We didn't make it out to the actual sea shore until 6 pm, where I spent a stressful hour trying to keep Mads from floating off to sea like a merman. Then, back in the car and home. New decree on the drive in the dark to our waiting, woeful old dog: no more day trips to the beach. We spend the night, or we don't go at all.
Thursday 14 July 2016 | We've reached that point in summer in which being outside is no longer an option. Trying to keep 3-year-olds occupied indoors is tricky, however. I made moon sand today, which the terrible two played with properly for perhaps 15 minutes before starting to literally toss it up in the air and then roll in it, like dogs.
Friday 15 July 2016 | Watermelon Salad: watermelon, black beans, tomatoes, cilantro (or mint or basil), feta, lime juice, drizzle of olive oil. Yum.
Saturday 16 July 2016 | When I was pregnant with him, the midwives always said the same thing at our appointments: it's an active, happy baby. He hasn't stopped being either of those things.
Sunday 17 July 2016 | I'm not sure when this happened. It's always so sudden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...