Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Photo Journal, no. 28 | From the Farm

I get a Farmer's Market high.  I go, I peruse, I chat, I walk home with arms over-burdened, feeling unutterably amazing.  This time of year is so magical.
Frozen peas from Smith Nursery (CSA); Strawberries, blueberries (my first of the season!), new potatoes, spinach, and sugar snap peas from Lyon Farms of Creedmoor (about 35 miles from us).
4 lbs hamburger (ground), beef shoulder medallion, London broil, and 1 dozen eggs from Queen B. Farms of Mebane (about 40 miles from us).  We've been buying our meat almost exclusively from Queen B. for a few months now, since making the decision to cut factory farm meat out of our diets once and for all.  Queen B provides to the Carden Farm stand (basically, a 7-day-a-week Farmer's Market) up the street from our house.  What I particularly love about buying from farmers is that they love their work and they take care of their animals.  I'd even go so far as to say they love their animals, which might seem odd given that many of the cows Queen B raises will go to slaughter to feed my hungry belly, but while Wolfman discussed cuts with the farmer, I browsed the photo album of his animals on the table next to the display eggs.  I mean, really.
Look how big that spinach leaf is!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...