Pages

Thursday, August 3, 2017

Thankful Thursday | rock has got the right of way

My garden has done a lot of Jesus-take-the-wheel-ing this summer. And, despite my self-sabotaging instincts, I managed to relax into a state of mild and pleasant surprise at the goings-on in my little chicken-wired garden plot. I let go of my expectations completely and accepted that this was a hard summer. I was sad, and some of my houseplants died while I was sad, and outdoors my would-be garden just had to make its way without a gardener. Let me admit here, however, that I've never been a good gardener, necessarily; my gardens have always been a sort of laissez faire event due to my incredible lack of skill and/or knowledge.  But, this year I was more neglectful than ever before. I hardly visited my plot at all. I tended to the compost pile, tossing kitchen scraps in and turning the hot mass with shovel, but of course producing garbage is easier than producing sustenance. Pumpkin vines wound about the entire plot, choking out my peppers and tomatoes. Zucchini rotted on the vine. I did pick several large yellow mystery squashes, the stems of which deposited tiny spines into my skin, but I failed even the charming task of deciding how to cook and eat those squashes. They grew a film of fuzzy mold on my kitchen counter. Then, I tossed them into the compost pile and broke into them with a shovel, which was satisfying. 

I did not garden this summer, but I did sit in the back yard and drink rum out of a hollowed-out pineapple at the solstice. Many an evening, I sat reading stupid novels while Mads played in his $7 plastic pool (often, I'd pour Buddy Wash in while it filled and call it his bath). On Tuesday night, we roasted marshmallows at the fire pit after the sun set and "camped" (Wolfman set up the tent out there). I am so grateful for this fenced in back yard, for the Walmart plastic pool, for the tiny pumpkin that grew while I wasn't watching and protecting it, for Thorn Rex as he perches on the deck with his fat belly hanging over the railing, for stinky herbal bug spray, for a man who can build a fire, for tropical fruits, for the smell of meat cooking on an open flame. I am grateful that summer is almost over.
I Am Grateful.

  • I am grateful for books that mean nothing to me, procured for next-to-nothing, that I can guiltlessly rip apart for art projects.
  • I am grateful for an ink smudge on my fingernail that makes me feel like Jo March.
  • I am grateful to past me, for all the meticulous notes in my past journals.
  • I am grateful for AC/DC playing on the radio as the high way opens up and we pick up speed.
  • I am grateful that our ailing beast of a truck, Brunhilde, chose not to start on a day when we weren't in a particular hurry, on a day that Wolfman was with me, rather than a day I was out alone or out alone with Mads.
  • I am grateful for grimoire flip-through videos on Youtube (like this one).
  • I am grateful for the smell of Play-Doh and coffee and sizzling sausage links, all in our kitchen one morning.
  • I am grateful for the way Wolfman sometimes unexpectedly falls into a Scottish brogue. 
  • I am grateful for the tastiest margarita I have ever had on date night at La Rancherita.
  • I am grateful to be married to a man who tips servers so generously.
  • I am grateful for very sharp razors with which to slice through boxes.
  • I am grateful for the crinkle of packing paper.

1 comment:

  1. Summer is the time of year I always struggle the most. I'm not a fan of the heat, but even more offensive to me is the bright sun burning my eyes and skin. I know that makes me a Scrooge to most but I'll never apologize for my devotion to foggy mornings that turn in to rainy days.

    Also - Molly Roberts on YouTube is my muse these days too. I wish we were all neighbors!

    ReplyDelete

share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...