Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Photo Journal, no. 55 | Plus One



Meet Ella Lois Good, all 6 pounds 5 ounces of sweet little baby girl.  She'll be a week old tomorrow at 3:38 pm.  And, I am utterly, completely, crazy about her.  I've never seen such a perfect little face. She has her father's eyes and her mother's nose (I think! I hope!), and those long eyelashes could be from either of her parents--Ella was gifted with really great eyelash genes on both sides of her family.  Technically, I've been an aunt, by marriage, for three years now, to a charming little girl named Samantha Jane who never ceases to amaze me.  But, I won't pretend there isn't something magical about watching my own little sister transform into a mother before my very eyes, and knowing that this new little creature, this precious thing, has some of our shared blood and history swimming about inside her veins.  

I may have been, due to my particular vantage point, the first to see Ella's little face.  I cried, of course, and those tears turned to weeping the moment I saw my sister gaze upon her daughter for the first time.  Such a magical moment, perhaps the most magical of my life (at least until my own little one gets here).  And, god, how strong was Sierra Dawn?  Such a power house.  Bobby said something to the extent of wondering how he could be worthy of such a powerful woman after watching her give birth to his daughter, and I wonder the same thing if in a different way.  I wonder, how can I live up to that?  After two days of irregular contractions, five hours of active labor, and only three, maybe four, pushes (all silent, I should note), my sister gave birth and changed our lives forever, and now I understand so much clearer what is expected of me, of my body, of my will, come the end of July. I am so proud of her, so in awe of her, so happy for her, so glad to meet my niece, and to have these next three months to get to know her, just Ella, and to love her so much.

Proud parents

Bobby wouldn't stop talking for a picture.


I think we're going to go with Aunt Shelly

Shirly's first great-grandchild

A blurry picture of my grandpa with the baby.  Why can men not stand still for pictures?

1 comment:

  1. Aw... what an amazing experience to have when you're about to have a baby of your own! You & your sister are going to be Mommys together! HOW SWEET. So soooo very sweet... Beautiful baby. Beautiful family. -xo

    ReplyDelete

share your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...